Pageviews past week

Friday, February 27, 2009

Tiredness is killing V

Friday is not a good day to blog I have decided. I'm just too tired - man I sound like a broken record. The weeks efforts takes its toll on me so from next week I'm going to pick another day to blog instead. In the meantime, not wanting to disappoint my many readers (all five of them), I might as well type about something before the weekend.

First of all, I passed my exams! Boy, what a relief, I have never been stressed out for results before in my life (except perhaps my driving test), but there was real pressure on these results - approximately £1400 worth of pressure to be precise, so to pass was a big, big relief. I can now qualify as a GP this August inshallah - who knows, you may suffer at my hands one day in the near future.

I'm sure many, if not all of you have been following the Oscars earlier this week and the remarkable success of Slumdog Millionaire - a rag to riches story of a boy from the Mumbai slums, explaining through a series of flashbacks, how he came to know the answers to the questions in the gameshow (Who Want's To Be A Millionaire?) whilst growing up in the slums.

I watched the film last week and although entertaining, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I've seen far better Bollywood films over the years, but because this was a British film made in India with Indians, suddenly it became this huge phenomenon. The actor, Dev Patel is from Harrow and can barely disguise his British accent and Anil Kaoor (the show's host), was the third choice behind Bollywood icons Amitabh Bachchan and Shahrukh Khan - although I bet they regret turning it down now.

Amusingly, have a look at Amitabh Bachchan's blog to see how much the films success seems to irritate him. In his latest blogs this week he's pasted several newspaper clippings all having a go at the film - jealous perhaps? He continues to argue that he is simply inviting debate, but interestingly all the views are negative. Never mind Big B.

Alongside the awards for Best Picture and Best Film was the award of two Oscars for A.R. Rahman for Best Song and Best Score. It was great to seem him perform both songs from the film in the Kodak theatre in front of all the Hollywood superstars. However, the music was not his best work, but again, because it's a British film, it got the recognition that no Bollywood film could get on the international stage. All in all a remarkable success story.

With that, I think I'll give up, I'm too tired to type further. I think I'll quit and grab a nap before my afternoon surgery which starts in one hours time.

Take care all,
Thoughts just flow, when do they have to make sense?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done on passing!!! :) Have to celebrate!

And yeah, Amitabh is so jealous. Why can't he be happy for other people's success? Only his bloody family are important right? Stupid Bachchan's!

Keep up the blogs...