Pageviews past week

Monday, August 18, 2008

Night of Salvation

As promised I'm back and ready to re-enter the blogging world proper. Let's hope it doesn't take too long to get the readers back to the blog - because if I have free time, then I'm sure you do to! Even now, I've finished seeing my first patient and have 20 minutes until I see the next one.

Last week I was away in Pakistan attending the wedding of my sister-in-law. (New job and already taken annual leave - easy for some). The wedding functions were extremely enjoyable - grand and colourful affairs, with good food and plenty of photos of everyone dressed up. My wife's family were understandably moved to tears when we gave away the bride (the 'rukhsati' for those in the know), and emotional time for all. It must be said, that there was a lot more emotion than when my wife and I got married four years ago. Hardly anyone seemed upset then - apart from my wife!

Before I move on to today's topic, two further points from my holiday. First of all, we flew with Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) and were very impressed with the quality of service. We sat in a Boeing 777 plane with sufficient leg-room (just) and all in all it was a comfortable experience. I feel PIA is much-maligned but as a first time user I was pleasantly surprised. Also, Pakistan uses daylight saving time. India doesn't. This means that for half the year, Pakistan is half an hour behind India and for the other half, 30 minutes in front. How odd is that? OK, not very, but I still find that interesting!

Today, in the Islamic calendar, is the 15th of Shabaan. Last night was quite important for all muslims - Sunni and Shia. It was Lailat-ul-Barat or the Night of Salvation. It is the night when muslims believe that God grants forgiveness to all sins and resets everything for the following year. It is yet another opportunity from God for us to seek his forgiveness and blessing. A night spent in rememberance and prayer towards God.

In the Islamic calender, there are six great nights, repsected by both sects in the muslim world. Lailat-ul-Qadr, Lailat-ul-Miraj, the nights of the two Eids, night of Arafat and Lailat-ul-Baraat. Although each of these nights are important, Lailat-ul-Qadr and Lailat-ul-Baraat traditionally get the most coverage, simply because of the meaning behind them. So much coverage in fact, that even Amitabh Bachchan mentioned it in his blog.

With my cynical hat on, I've often dispelled these nights in the past. Why does God grant forgiveness only on special nights? Surely God is all-forgiving all the time. He is, but these nights carry extra importance because God has deemed it. In his mercy, he has placed emphasis on such nights so that we can take stock of ourselves. Reset.

I now feel that these nights offer me the chance to reflect on where I've been and where I can go. To re-align myself with God. Last night, I came to realise that for the past few months I have just been drifting along. Praying regularly, but apart from that nothing! Not reading the Quran, not seeking further knowledge, not getting close to God. It's disappointing that it took such a night to realise all this, but on the other hand, without Laital-ul-Baraat (and other great nights) would I have come to reflect on myself - probably not.

This time of year, islamically, is always more spiritual. It starts with last night and then leads into Ramadhan shortly, during which we have the Night of Power and then continues into Muharram in the New Year. Inshallah, with the help of these nights, I continue to develop as a muslim and continue to get closer to God.

Leading on from Lailat-ul-Baraat, today being the 15th of Shabaan carries an extra importance for Shias. Today we celebrate the birth of the 12th Imam, a person I attempted to blog about a while back. So, with the Night of Salvation and the birth of our living Imam, all in all a very important two days for us and a wonderful opportunity to remember God and seek his forgiveness - moreso than usual.

Take care all,
Thoughts just flow, when do they have to make sense?

No comments: