Pageviews past week

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Felicitations on Eid

First of all apologies to all of you who waited patiently for yesterday's blog. I really wanted to leave a blog but had a really busy day because of Eid, was in and out of the house all day and didn't get a chance to type anything. I apologise unreservedly, after leaving a blog every weekday for over a month, yesterday was the first time I didn't do so and I'm sure it must've upset you all a great deal, especially since there was no forewarning of the lack of a blog. So to the zero number of people who actually read this blog, apologies once again!!

I'm just messing, I don't think anyone was waiting for this blog! Mainly because not many people read it but more importantly, because yesterday was Eid, the end of Ramadan. Actually, depending on who you follow, Eid was also on Monday and Wednesday, but I've talked about the furore that surrounds the pronouncement of Eid before, so won't complain about it again. The most important thing was that I celebrated Eid yesterday with my family and everyone I know on the same day.

To be honest, I don't really have much to type about mainly because I'm leaving for holiday to Pakistan tomorrow evening and have been busy getting ready for that. It's the first time I'm going to Pakistan, to visit my wife's family which is actually rather extensive. I'll be visiting Karachi and Lahore during my stay. What is concerning was the recent reports of the rise in cases of Dengue Fever in Karachi, this is a very lethal condition causing severe joint pain (often called breaking bone pain) and temperatures for over a fortnight and can lead to Dengue haemorrhagic fever which causes death! It is spread by mosquitoes and so the only prevention is to make sure you don't get bitten! Looks like I'll be stocking up on insect repellants and staying indoors all day then! Luckily it has not transmitted to Lahore where I will be for the majority of my stay.

Besides this small problem, I'm actually really looking forward to the holiday. First of all I need a break from work, as chilling as it is, I'm getting fed up of seeing cold after cold, headache after headache and could do with a break. My last break was in May, so it's definitely due! I've always had reservations about Pakistan, mainly because of the multiple news reports about discrimination and violence against Shias. For a so-called muslim country, the 'Land of the Pure', it sure doesn't sound like it. It's quite damning to know that as a Shia I'm more at risk in a Muslim country like Pakistan, than I am in India, a dominantly Hindu nation. However, I am going with an open mind, especially since my wife has a lot of good things to say about the country and hopefully will have an enjoyable experience which will change my views of the country.

One thing causing concern more than any other is my ability to communicate. Everyone will be speaking Urdu and my Urdu is pretty poor! My wife's parents and siblings will also be coming so hopefully they'll all be helping me through it, but I've got to make a good impression regardless. Although it is concerning, I am looking forward to the challenge!

I'll be leaving tomorrow night so will need to sleep on the plane to make sure I arrive well adjusted to the time difference. However, the problem I face is that my wife's sisters will also be on the plane. At the moment I'm being threatened with sitting next to them and they'll keep me awake throughout the flight! In each other's company they become two chatterbox machines, so I think I'll keep some ear-plugs as well!

As for this blog, needless to say it'll be difficult to keep it up to date while I'm away. I will try to blog at least once just to talk about how the holiday is going, but will provide a detailed account when I return. My numerous readers will just have to be patient, but don't worry I'll have plenty more topics to type about when I return. In the meantime, just want to mention another important event that occurred yesterday, something I'm ashamed to say I completely forgot until this morning, the trailer for the new series of 24 aired and it looks amazing, but I would say that since I am such a huge fan! For those in the know, check out the trailer and let me know what you think!

Well that's about it! Have fun while I'm away, I'm sure this blog won't be missed - hardly anyone reads it. My next blog will be on the 7th of November inshallah, hope to talk to you all then!

Take care all,
Thoughts just flow, when do they have to make sense?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad thought it may seem I waited for your blog yesterday, and was disappointed that you denied us your thoughts!

Anyway Eid Mubarek - clearly you are too busy to call!

Have a safe trip

2yyiam said...

Sully apologies for not getting in touch, I was really busy, after namaaz hadto go shopping for the trip and then a drive to E.London to visit the In-Laws duing peak rush hour and then back home for dinner!
Will get in touch tomorrow before I depart.