Pageviews past week

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Greetings from Pakistan

Assalam alaikum from Pakistan. Anyone miss me? I’m sitting in my uncle-in-law’s (i.e. my father-in-law’s brother) house in Lahore. I’m connected to the internet via a cable modem, ahh those were the days and needless to say it’s running extremely slowly! With that in mind, I can’t take up too much time typing online.

So far the holiday has been very good and relaxing. Spent the weekend in Karachi and then flew to Lahore on Monday night. Karachi was very hot, averaging 32 degrees with a lot of pollution and humidity. Took some funny pictures in the traffic jams which I will post when I get back. One of my wife’s relatives works in the government Assembly, so had a chance to visit the main hall where the independence of Pakistan was declared by Lord Mountbatten in 1947, sat on the very chair it took place on. Other than that the rest of the time was spent meeting family and discovering how huge my wife’s family actually is, and that’s just her father’s side!

Lahore is a complete contrast. Arrived in the night, but straightaway the difference was noticeable. It is a lot cleaner than Karachi and it felt as if we were in Dubai or Abu Dhabi. My uncle-in-law lives in the Defense Housing Authority and has a huge house which was recently built. All cities in Pakistan have an area called Defense which is the well-developed, modern part of the city and Lahore’s is no exception.

Haven’t really had a chance to visit much in Lahore, but hope to do so during the remainder of my stay, Hope to visit the Indo-Pak border as well, I already have a 5yr multiple entry visa for India so I could cross the border into India, but then I would not be allowed back into Pakistan because I only have a single entry visa. Quite amusing I think!

I better end things now; the connection is beginning to struggle! Already had to reconnect a couple of times during the blog. I should’ve cut and paste from Word and then connected. I will inshallah return next Monday and hope to type more about my holiday with pictures and more details when I return.

Until then, take care all,
Thoughts just flow, when do they have to make sense?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to read your blog again! Sounds like your having fun.

Sully