Pageviews past week

Friday, November 10, 2006

More motivation please

I think I can safely say the jet-lag has finally worn off, although getting back into the work routine means the tiredness has returned again, the weekend has come at the perfect time. Big game yet again this weekend and it seems I'm going back on my word! I'd like to not be such an avid follower of Liverpool, but I just can't help it - my wife is most displeased!

Carrying on from yesterday and one of the things about being a GP that irritates the most (and I've touched on this before) is the sheer volume of people who come with minor problems that they could treat at home if they had some common sense. Yesterday afternoon's surgery consisted of 8 patients, 7 of whom would not need to be there had they just tried taking some painkillers. I know I'm repeating stuff I've already typed about, but it's really frustrating, hence the repetition.

Why won't people take painkillers? When asked, majority state that they don't like taking tablets. So what on earth did they expect I would say? I'm a doctor; of course I'm going to prescribe some medicine. Then when I suggest they need to try some painkillers first they all agree. Why couldn't they do that in the first place? It really bugs me.

A classic case yesterday was a 20yr old guy who made an appointment because he had pain in his neck after sleeping in an awkward position the night before. He didn't want to take any painkillers and it wasn't getting any better. He was able to move his neck fully but had an aching pain when he looked left. My first option was always going to be painkillers and yet he had to make an appointment to see a doctor to be told that. Like I said, I've ranted about this all before, but I'm just in the mood to go over it again. It's becoming such a pain to continually prescribe painkillers. Where has the common sense gone?

On my drive to work I was listening to yet more reports of muslim extremism and terrorists and the struggle we are facing etc etc. Apparently MI5 are having to deal with more and more terror plots and the negative image of Islam continues in full-force. The veil issue has also cropped up again, this time with regard to rules for lawyers wearing the veil in court and every time I look at the BBC News website there always seems to be some report creating negative feelings and attitudes towards muslims and Islam. It is only a matter of time before the veil will be banned in public places, inevitably leading the way to the headscarf as well!

These continuous negative media reports are just so depressing. Similar to my feeling about work, there are so many times when I want to do something about it. I often drive to work or home thinking about what to do. I often have moments of motivation about wanting to make a difference (so clichéd). But what can I change? How can I change these situations?

There are two parts of motivation. One is for me, mainly focusing on how I can improve myself. This part of the motivation tends to be to improve my knowledge and faith in my religion, to improve as a person and cut down on my negative aspects. All are achievable and it is an ongoing process with ups and downs, hopefully reaching a flat line at a good level at some point. The second part is how I can improve the world, so to speak! Grandiose sounding I know, but often I reflect on how to change the opinions that exist towards muslims and how to change hospital conditions for doctors to make it more appealing. But in reality what can I actually do?

I guess looking at the bigger picture it's all insignificant in comparison to our personal lives. Understandably people (me included) are more interested in their social and family lives. People who can make a difference often have busy personal lives and don't have the time or inclination to try and make a difference. Perhaps I and others will have to wait until the later part of our lives when we have more time, but then the worry is by then it may be too late. It may get to a point were living in Britain will become untenable for muslims and that's why something needs to be done.

In the real world what can I do to make a difference? I am constantly thinking, waiting for a moment of inspiration. In the meantime I guess I'll continue to hear all the negative press about Islam and continue to feel disillusioned about my job! What options do I have? If you have any suggestions then please feel free to leave your comments. Reading this blog and it is a pure random ramble; I don't even know if much of it makes sense! Please excuse me, but it is Friday after all!

Take care all, and have a good weekend.
Thoughts just flow, when do they have to make sense?

No comments: